Monday 7 May 2012

Dj Sgz Interview

Welcome - DJ SGZ is a professional House Music DJ, Producer, Remixer & part time Blogger. I once got lost in the world but music saved my life, and that's what makes me proud to scream out Loud that MUSIC IS MY LIFE!



Q. Could you tell us how you got into djing / producing and about your early career? 

A. It all started back in 2003. There's a guy called MBK, he used to play with 2 tape decks & a mixer with big speakers. His brother was a dancer & I was also a dance so MBK would just throw some dope tunes & we will start dancing. 

As I started going out to parties, I saw a lot of DJs using turn-tables, so I started hanging out with MBK a lot & that's when I met ma ninja Nocturnal DJ. Started buying cassettes & learning the skill, then Nocturnal DJ bought turntables & we started buying Vinyl then we moved to CDJs but haven't moved to serato or tractor, still loving CDJs.

The production part started in 2006, when I got my first demo version of Fruity Loops 3.. nowadays it's called FL Studio! I made a lot of tunes with it.. started submitting demos to record labels & getting no reply & I met a guy called Dennis in 2008. We started our own brand called Stuntmen, we released our 1st Vinyl & it didn't worked out the way we expected. 

So I gave up.. & in 2010 I met Aphreme.. we used to chat, until I sent him one of my tracks & he loved the sound & gave me an opportunity to remix one of his tunes with DJ Pap & it was released on online digital stores such as Traxsource. That's what motivated me to keep doing what I do best, MUSIC! 

Q. What’s your music background? Which artists have influenced you the most? 


A. I was a really good dancer when I grew up, loved dance music & Hip Hop. I used to believe Jazz music is for old people & RnB is for emotional people. My father(R.I.P Dad) was a big music collector but I would collect my own music & try influence him to listen to what I just bought. 

& he would praise me & say it sounds good, but deep down inside I know he was just saying "look at this kid clowning around, you don't know Sh** about good music son" 

I was influenced by Osunlade, even though these days I'm influenced by Glenn, Osunlade was my biggest influence!

Q. If we looked in your cd/mp3 player right now, what kind of music we would see? 


A. You will find Soulful House, Period!



Q. What is your own favorite track, the one you are most proud of? And remix? 

A. My favourite track is a remix I did for Distant People.. for a track titled 'You are My Joy'.. the DJ SGZ Jo'burg Remix! I really love that track.. Dopeness 
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/images/blank.gif

Q. If you had the opportunity, with whom would you like to work with? 


A. I would really love to work with Relo & KB.. their both really good singers! & working with them would be really great for my brand.



Q. What records are you currently spinning every time you play?

A. - Glenn - Misty Dreams 
- Loving You (Jonny Montana Remix) 
- Yes (Terry Hunter BANG Sundays Club Mix)
- New Me (Frankie Feliciano Vocal Mix)

those are my four weapons at the moment!


Q. What can we expect to hear from you in the near future?

Expect to hear a lot of good music.. so more dope events. I'll also be introducing more artists in my record label. There's a whole lot more to come as I'm currently remixing some tunes from big names & working with well know vocalist on my original projects.

Expect the brand SGZ to be big in 2014 
https://s-static.ak.facebook.com/images/blank.gif thnx for the interview!! Peace!

No comments: